There’s what I believe is a ventilation plumbing-related pipe in my daughter’s closet. I’m pretty sure it’s cast iron and not lead, because a magnet sticks to it. I’m concerned about environmental hazards in my old home - especially asbestos. There’s no discernible wrap on the pipe. Don’t know if there’s potential asbestos containing material where the joints meet? Slightly worried that it’s not a good idea to have her clothing etc touching the pipe. Is there any reason for my concern, or am I just being paranoid? Thanks in advance.
Only asbestos in friable form is dangerous. Lead in the paint is more likely, though not very. Both unlikely concerns could be addressed by a careful wrap with foil tape which could allay remaining fears/uncertainty. Might be worth it if only to overcome sometimes difficult concerns regarding child safety.