- I have an AllPowers R600 Solar Generator, which can output AC and DC power
- I want to use it to power my laptop in the next room (approx. 4m away)
- The 1m charger works fine when I connect it directly but whenever I add an extension cable to the circuit (to make it the required 4m) it no longer works
- As the R600 battery is DC, I thought it made sense to drive my laptop directly rather than use the R600's AC out DC-->AC then plug in my laptop charger AC-->DC
- I bought a laptop car charger, which let's me charge my laptop from the cigarette lighter port on the R600
- When I connect the laptop charger directly to the R600 it works fine
- However the cable is only 1m and so needs to be extended, however when I then connect my laptop with the DC extension lead, it then doesn't power.
History & Technical Info
- My laptop draws 90w (max) -- 19.5v, upto 4.65A
- I initially tried connecting the laptop charger to 1x the R600 DC 5.5 x 2.5mm sockets, however this didn't work either (also, the DC 5.5 x 2.5mm extension cables were generally very thin >20 AWG) and I discovered only suitable for 2A or less.
- I switched to using a car charger/cigarette lighter port as the extension cables were generally better
- The cable I tried was 16 AWG -- According to what I read online this should have been fine for the 4.65A and 4m distance (giving only 3% voltage drop) but this still didn't work
- At this point I just don't know why it's not working
- I just want to run a 12v DC cable 4m and don't understand why it seems to be proving so difficult
- From what I've read, it seems like this should be a valid use-case so would be very grateful for any help trying to figure out why it isn't working / what I need to fix it.