I bought my house a year ago and I started seeing these cracks in my kitchen floor. I think this flooring type is called vinyl but looks like this kind of vinyl flooring is bit older. So 3 questions for the experts here:

  1. Is this vinyl or something else?
  2. How do I go about patching this up?

Thanks in advance for your help!

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 4
    Looks like sheet vinyl. It goes down like carpet(rolled out). Usually it is just covered over with new sheet vinyl or vinyl tiles or a different type of flooring. Depending on the people, vinyl is almost a temporary flooring, It does not stand up well in most homes, but is usually one of the least expensive.
    – crip659
    Nov 20 at 23:39
  • Thank you @crip659
    – SAS2Python
    Nov 21 at 18:06

1 Answer 1


It looks like some sort of 'self levelling' compound was used to try to flatten the floor before laying the vinyl. This often isn't properly bonded to the concrete, (especially at the edges where it is the thinnest) and starts to fail after a few years. Hence the issue with the vinyl also breaking up.

Only solution if to lift up the vinyl, clean up any broken concrete/ self levelling compound and make repairs to the concrete before laying a new floor covering.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.