What is this type of damage, and is there an economic way to repair? Windows are 20 years old and unknown maker. What is an expected cost to have a window like this repaired if not feasible to DYI? Several windows like this. Some are moveable parts others are non-removable.

enter image description here

  • I am thinking the black part is not suppose to be there. Replacing the window glass is the cheapest repair compared to replacing the whole window.
    – crip659
    Nov 20 at 16:56
  • 1
    the cost is determined by the local market in your area ... call several glass shops
    – jsotola
    Nov 20 at 17:50
  • 4
    I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at here. What's the black stuff? Why does your window look melted? Please post a closer photo from another angle.
    – isherwood
    Nov 20 at 22:30
  • I think its insect netting Nov 21 at 1:09
  • 2
    Did OP edit the photo and fill the sides with black?
    – Criggie
    Nov 21 at 3:23

1 Answer 1


That looks like a sealed double glazed unit. Contact your local glazing company, and they will be able to make a new one up of the same width, height and thickness. Swapping them out isn't that difficult, but probably best left to the professionals. It usually involves prying out the beading around the edges of the glass.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.