I'm trying to paint a surface that meets up at a slight angle with some stained wood edging that is part of my wood floor.

I started covering up the wood with blue painter's tape, and noticed when repositioning some tape that it was pulling bits of the wood surface off when I removed it. I checked the tape instructions and it turns out I'm not supposed to use it on wood floors, which is basically what this edging is.

So if I can't use painter's tape to protect the wood from the adjacent painting, how do I do the painting without accidentally painting the wood? Is there some other kind of special wood floor painter's tape I need?

1 Answer 1


Yes, you need a premium quality tape designed for delicate surfaces (example in pic, not a brand recommendation). Sometimes they are marketed as "easy release" or "gentle release".

enter image description here

  • You may need to visit an actual paint shop to find this, as opposed to a "big box" hardware store... Nov 19, 2023 at 16:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.