Our door handle fell off — the screw keeping it on the handle fell out, and we couldn’t find it anywhere. We’ve tried every possible screw at Lowe’s, but I guess this is special/proprietary in some way?

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


The screw is still there:
Your original pic: enter image description here

Enhanced for clarity: enter image description here

You need to find a small Allen Wrench which fits the socket in the end of this grub screw.
Slide the door handle back on, then use the Allen-Wrench to back the screw out 1 or 2 turns so that it grips into the hole in the door handle.

What probably happened is that this screw was turned in a little more than necessary when the handle was installed, and now over time the 'pipe' part of the door handle which slides over the 'shaft' of the latch mechanism has worn or expanded slightly - just enough that the end of the screw still sticking out of the shaft no longer grips in the hole in the side of the 'pipe'.
If the screw feels loose when you turn it, then it would probably be a good idea to use a drop of thread locker to make sure the screw doesn't wiggle out in future.

  • 10
    Or get a longer set screw.
    – Huesmann
    Nov 10, 2023 at 14:25
  • 3
    "a drop of thread locker" - but not a strong one; Loctite 222 (purple) would work. Otherwise, the hex socket may well round out before you can remove it. Nov 10, 2023 at 17:41
  • 4
    Anyway, it's almost certainly not proprietary. All of the modern locks that I know of sold in Chile, where I live, use metric thread (m4-m6) for these set bolts.
    – Conrado
    Nov 10, 2023 at 20:16
  • 6
    @Oddthinking the "hole" IS the grub screw. Look slightly farther out instead to see the actual hole.
    – fectin
    Nov 11, 2023 at 15:02
  • 4
    I agree. Fiddle with contrast and brightness and I believe you can see the hex recess. OP (Jenn): it appears to be an Allen-type screw with a hex recess (rather than slot or cross) which you're mistaking for a hole. It's fairly common to find this used where a tight connection is required. Nov 11, 2023 at 15:38

They are normally set screws (grub screws), without a visible head. If you have another door handle, then remove the screw from there to find a replacement.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.