I have an insulated duct like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-4-in-x-12-ft-Insulated-Flexible-Duct-R6-Silver-Jacket-F6IFD4X144/203420974

The actual tube inside is some kind of plastic. When attaching this to a metal duct, do I seal it with metal tape or duct tape? Or should I use those metal collars that can be tightened with a screw?

  • 2
    plastic flex duct is about the worst product you can use for ducting. Is this for a bathroom fan? Nov 7, 2023 at 18:00
  • For future reference: "metal collars that can be tightened with a screw" is commonly called a "hose clamp" or "duct clamp". In the UK, they're called "Jubilee clips". May have other names elsewhere in the world.
    – FreeMan
    Nov 7, 2023 at 19:31

2 Answers 2


Use a strap-type duct clamp.

Duct tape has no modern HVAC application that I'm aware of. Metal foil tape is a seal, not a fastener, as it tears easily.


This is literally what duct tape was invented for.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.