I have this tool and not sure what it is used for. The T-handle, if you will, swivels. The word “Waterbury” is stamped on one side. And “solderometer” is stamped on the other side. I googled it with no helpful results. I would enter image description here

  • Please edit to complete your question, which appears to be cut off mid-sentence.
    – Ecnerwal
    Commented Nov 4, 2023 at 14:08

1 Answer 1


I found several references in Google Books from the early 1900s to a solderometer as a tool that's used to measure the percentage of tin in a batch of molten solder. Apparently, solder with less than 35% tin would make a no-good porous solder.

The books' mentions of a solderometer were in reference to making splices in heavy electrical cables, especially during the transition from DC to AC power distribution. "Cable wipes and lugs" were mentioned, and there was a Waterbury Cable Company.

  • Thank you for your troubles. Much appreciated. I guess my research skills need some improvement. Thanks again! Commented Nov 5, 2023 at 6:19
  • Fascinating. This explains how to do it without this tool. You are basically measuring density. Presumably this device has a density somewhere between tin and lead, and sinks into a pot of molten solder just the right amount if the mix is what it's meant to be.
    – jay613
    Commented Nov 5, 2023 at 16:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.