Underneath my bathroom basin is this fitment. The bottom screws into a waste trap, and the side opening screws into a plug lever thing. Waste shim from beneath

I now want to remove all this to fit a new plug and surround. However I've no idea how to remove it. Down the shim

Do the top and bottom halves come apart somehow? I can potentially remove the basin from the pedestal, possibly there is a screw behind the bottom fitting.

2 Answers 2


Typically, on a pedestal sink (which is what it looks like you have) you will install the drain before setting the bowl in place. If you can't remove the bowl to replace the drain, you will have to figure a way to turn the inside of the drain. It looks like the stopper lever hole will rotate against the pedestal and stop there, so maybe try jamming a set of pliers inside the bore and rotate. Frankly, I think you'll be happier just disassembling the bowl.

  • Thanks - so there are two parts and they do unscrew from each other? Commented Oct 26, 2023 at 20:29
  • 1
    @strangerpixel The idea is they unscrew. With time and stuff, unscrewing gets more difficult, to sometimes requiring a hacksaw to cut it in pieces from inside the hole.
    – crip659
    Commented Oct 26, 2023 at 21:31
  • @strangerpixel yep, look up some pedestal sink installation videos. The drain on top may be stuck with crusted plumbers putty, or even silicone.
    – Huesmann
    Commented Oct 26, 2023 at 22:33
  • Turn the bottom to crack it lose. Then you have to keep it from turning and hitting the pedestal, while you unscrew it from the top... somehow. Or just don't install the new drain stuff that comes with the new faucet. Scotch brite pad would clean that right up. If you thew things away, go get them until this is back in working order.
    – Mazura
    Commented Oct 27, 2023 at 5:20
  • 1
    Thanks - monkey wrench / screwdriver worked in the end. Commented Oct 28, 2023 at 11:46

Try a strainer wrench to hold/turn the upper strainer ring, whilst also holding the lower portion of the assembly from turning. A bit of spray penetrating oil from below might also help. BTW that type of drain is often called a pop-up drain assembly.

enter image description here

  • Having the right tools always makes a job easier!
    – FreeMan
    Commented Oct 27, 2023 at 14:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.