I have a cabinet with a locking mechanism that's missing the pin shown in the following image from an identical cabinet. (Looks like a brass pin with a black crest-shaped clip holding it in place.) Can someone let me know what it's called so I know what to ask for.

enter image description here

  • 1
    A grooved clevis pin and side-mount external retaining ring (I assume the reverse side of the pin has a rivet head shape). Get a bolt, nut, washer, and some threadlocker instead of trying to match that. Or beg the manufacturer for a replacement.
    – popham
    Oct 25, 2023 at 5:11
  • 3
    Those black retaining clips are also known as "jesus clips" as when they ping off "jesus, where did that go"... :)
    – Solar Mike
    Oct 25, 2023 at 5:52
  • 4
    that's an E clip ... duckduckgo.com/?q=e+clip&iax=images&ia=images .... or a C clip ... duckduckgo.com/…
    – jsotola
    Oct 25, 2023 at 6:33
  • 1
    @SolarMike One reason I have a kit with different sizes.
    – crip659
    Oct 25, 2023 at 11:15
  • 1
    Ahem... @popham... Answers go below...
    – FreeMan
    Oct 25, 2023 at 12:45

1 Answer 1


If the entire pin has gone missing, then simply replace it with a bolt of similar diameter, and put a washer and lock-nut on the end.
Use a lock-nut so that you don't have to tighten it all the way up (which would prevent the other piece from moving).
An alternative to a lock-nut would be a pair of regular nuts - one tightened against the other.

If it's just the clip on the end that's missing then you can find packs of various size 'E-Clips' at all the usual places.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.