Just had a screened in porch built with a metal roof. But now bugs are getting in through the gaps the corrugated roof left on the side. How do I plug them? Seems too large of a gap for caulking and foam sealant would not look good.
Any suggestions?
enter image description here ----------


3 Answers 3


The roof manufacturers have a foam seal "closure strip" that's shaped to exactly fit the corrugated gap, which should have been used:

A closure strip

It's possible, but a bit of a pain to retrofit that properly (you have to loosen or remove the screws at the ends, slide it in, and tighten or replace the screws.)

Spray foam is an ugly hack, but will fill the gap. You could also plug most of the large profile with a section of backer rod a couple of inches long, and caulk the joint. Or you could buy the closure strips and just cut out the profiled bits to stuff in the holes, ignoring the flat section that would be between the roofing and the lumber that touch. Caulking might help keep that in place if it doesn't seem secure without that part.

  • 1
    Yeah, take the original piece, cut it a bit to fit so that it plugs into place with a bit of a gap. Cover the "plugging" edge in silicone caulk, plug in, let try. Silicone is strong enough to keep it in place without any other glue or fastener needed.
    – yo'
    Commented Oct 9, 2023 at 15:45
  • 1
    I would buy the closure strips, cut out and squeeze in the triangular portions in the opening, just a Alexander said.
    – SteveSh
    Commented Oct 12, 2023 at 0:05

I use wadded-up balls of plastic bird netting (the very flimsy stuff) to fill holes such as that. It is dirt-cheap, easy to install, is just as easy to remove with no clean-up required, stays in place, is only noticeable if you are looking for it, allows at least some ventilation, and excludes all but the very tiniest of insects.


another suggestion would be to use a metal mesh:

Copper Mesh enter image description here

Copper: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00149P89E

Stainless Steel: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0953C26QB

Do not use regular Steel Wool as it will Rust

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.