Seems like there are a lot of different types of bulbs like this one, but so many different specs. How do I go about replacing it? Various bulbs I am seeing on Amazon specifically say things like "Replaces Philips 38327-3, GE 97596 and Sylvania 20671". I am hoping that doesn't matter much and that I could just get some off Amazon rather than have to special-order them.

Edit: And are there adapters that let me use regular bulbs?

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


That is a 4-pin compact florescent lamp. Since it has a pin base instead of a screw base, the ballast is located in the fixture, not in the light.

Unfortunately, this fixture is not completable with anything but a florescent light or an LED light designed to replace one. It cannot be adapted to any other kind of light without modifying the fixture.

  • So are there compatibility issues with these or can I just get any "4-pin compact florescent lamp"?
    – flemming
    Commented Oct 8, 2023 at 3:30
  • 2
    @flemming The ballast in the fixture will be designed for a specific range of bulb wattages. To be safe, get a 13 Watt, 4-pin CF to match the old one.
    – DoxyLover
    Commented Oct 8, 2023 at 3:34
  • Alright, I went ahead and ordered these: amazon.com/gp/product/B01GQV91OM It has specs like "841" and "G24q-1", but, by your answer, doesn't seem like these matter. It also says "Replacement for Philips 38328-1 PL-C 13W/841/4P/ALTO, Sylvania 20667 and GE 97597 - F13DBX/841/ECO4P" which I also assume doesn't matter since this is a 13-watt, 4-pin CF/L. Will mark as answer after I confirm these work. Thanks.
    – flemming
    Commented Oct 8, 2023 at 17:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.