Looking for a male to male ball valve that will connect to the fridge water line hose. The hose says it 1/4. I purchased a ball valve on the internet that was 1/4 male to male but was too big for the water line hose connection. Not sure how to purchase the correct size.

  • 1
    How about some pictures so we can see what you see.
    – JACK
    Sep 30, 2023 at 22:10

1 Answer 1


Refrigerator water/ice-maker lines are typically 1/4" tubing (poly or copper). The fittings usually found on these systems are 1/4" compression, which is designed to work with special compression nuts and ferrules which attach to the tubing and seal by squishing (compression) of the ferrule.

Your ball valve probably has 1/4" pipe thread (NPT) which is totally different but can be easily adapted to compression thread with a couple inexpensive adapters.

Note- it is common to also find hoses with braided stainless-steel jacket used for connection. These are also typically equipped with 1/4" compression thread, so they can be easily used on existing systems.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.