I bought this old Ikea lamp from a thrift store the other day, but it is missing its original power adapter. It's got this plug that looks like an old RCA cable. I saw on reddit that the original adapter is called a KUA1200200L, but the only ones I could find for sale online would cost almost $100 after shipping so I'd like to find an alternative.

So I'm wondering, would there be any universal power adapters I could get that would work for this? For instance, I found this power supply on Amazon - would this work?

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • A simple search for KUA1200200L found at least two for less than 30 bucks on amazon.
    – crip659
    Commented Sep 19, 2023 at 15:32

2 Answers 2


If you can sort out what the voltage and current required are, sure. The label doen't seem to make any comment on that. Voltage essentially the same, current capacity same or greater, and AC or DC as required.

Evidently the original is 11.5V AC at 1-2 amps or so (10-20W.) Which probably will work with 12VAC 2 or more amps.

Depending on internal circuitry, it might also work with 12VDC, though polarity might be important, or it might not work at all. Old, and that much power, it's probably an incandescent bulb and polarity agnostic (but also subject to filament breakage.) You might be able to find an LED replacement bulb, most of which would care about polarity.

The adapter you show is 12VDC. Odds are excellent you can find some 12VDC adapter around the house or at the thrift store (they are common) and try that for no or little money. Personally I'd replace the inappropriately used RCA plug, or just wire directly to the new supply with no plug.

  • 1
    FWIW an external hard drive case often has a 12V DC power supply rated at 2 A, might be a place to try if a computer user is in the area and has a spare power supply. Commented Sep 19, 2023 at 15:47

The adapter you show has an output of 12VDC and the specs for the adapter you listed as too expensive states 12VAC so it might not work the the lamp you have. Plus you'd have to change the low voltage socket. Some LEDs will work with AC or DC.

Checking for the specs, I found this site on Ebay that sells the adapter, used, that you're looking for. While we don't do shopping on this site, this popped up so I'm sharing it with you.


enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.