I'm installing a manual transfer switch for a generator in my basement. The transfer switch box requires that the inlet connect come from the bottom of the box. However, I will be running the wiring for the inlet box along the basement rafters.

What is the best way for me to make a 180 degree turn from the ceiling into the bottom of the transfer switch box? I'm using 10/3 romex for the interior wiring.

This is the transfer switch I am using: https://www.connecticut-electric.com/10-circuit-transfer-switch-kit-egs107501g2kit

  • 1
    Please post the model number of the transfer switch. Maybe the thing can be turned over? Sep 15, 2023 at 13:56
  • What kind of cable and/or conduit? It's normal to bend them around corners, as I'm sure you know, so a little more detail on why it's a problem would help.
    – jay613
    Sep 15, 2023 at 14:08
  • It might be appropriate to drill a new knock-out in the top or side of the box for easier wire routing. Model number or a photo of it will help us assess.
    – Greg Hill
    Sep 15, 2023 at 16:25
  • I've edited the post to include a link to the transfer switch Sep 15, 2023 at 17:45
  • 1
    @harper-reinstate-monica I would need to completely rewire my existing panel to do this. The necessary location for the interlock breaker is full and I would need to move every circuit in the panel due to the wire lengths. Sep 15, 2023 at 18:34

1 Answer 1


A J bend in the protective conduit sleeve you'll require (when you leave the ceiling) if this is exposed wiring, or the same thing in the concealed wall space (or a protected by plywood space you build out from the wall just for this purpose) with the cable. Make large radius turns, they are easier to pull wire or cable through and don't damage the cable if you don't need conduit due to being in-wall. That may mean offsetting the switch from the cable location so you have room for a nice big J along the wall surface, rather than trying to make a quick-turn in a few inches.

  • Do you think this could be done with flexible conduit? I don't have a bender. Sep 15, 2023 at 17:44
  • 1
    Perhaps FMC (flex metal, not liquidtight) - my experience is that liquidtight (either flavor - metallic or non-metallic) is a horribly sticky pull. You could also buy a pre-bent sweep, or you could run to a box suitable to the scale of your cable and make the turn in the box. I'd probably just frame up a wiring chase from wood and plywood, in your shoes.
    – Ecnerwal
    Sep 15, 2023 at 18:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.