A few months ago I had laminate floor installed in a bedroom and it is now buckling. After removing the quarter-round and inspecting it, I see that the installer did not leave a gap between the edge of the floor and the walls; There is no room for the floor to expand.

Is there a tool that can allow me to cut the floor along the perimeter of the bedroom so as to leave a 3/8" gap.

My circular saw isn't capable, and it would take a long time with my oscillating tool.

  • Get the installer back there to do the cutting.
    – JACK
    Commented Sep 5, 2023 at 19:51

2 Answers 2


The saw you are looking for is called a toe-kick saw. Harbor Freight sells one. These days most people use an oscillating multi-tool for this job. It will take longer to do the job with the multi-tool, but then you have a really versatile tool in your toolbox.


The dremel Ultra-Saw Compact Circular Saw might be able to get close to the wall and do what your circ can't.

dremel circ saw

  • 1
    I have this tool and like it, but to do flush cuts, it requires a special blade that's quite expensive.
    – Cheery
    Commented Sep 5, 2023 at 11:20
  • yeah looks like you need a raised center blade - Dremel SM600 MultiPurpose Flush Cut Carbide Wheel. Commented Sep 5, 2023 at 15:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.