I guess the title says it all. =) I'm planning to replace my kitchen sink faucet. What type of sealant should I use for the base of the new sink faucet?

3 Answers 3


Many facuets come with a rubber gasket, so you don't need any sealant, just install the gasket.

  • 1
    Yup, read the instructions that come with the kitchen faucet before you go for the plumber's putty... you might not need any extra sealant. Nov 15, 2010 at 1:33

the old standard is plumber's putty. this can be used on most surfaces and laminates. If your counter top is a natural stone, especially marble, plumber's putty could stain it. Check with the stone vendor to be sure to use the proper sealant that will not stain the counters.

  • 3
    For the faucets I recently installed, they came with a plastic gasket, but also recommended that plumbers putty be used between the plastic and the sink.
    – MarkD
    Nov 14, 2010 at 22:05
  • 1
    There are Plumbers Putty formulations that are non-staining (e.g. Sta-Put Ultra). They are also safe to use on plastics where a traditional oil-based Plumbers Putty would damage it. Feb 22, 2011 at 13:51

Plumber's Putty. Read the manufacturer's instructions just in case. Plumbers Putty is less than 2 dollars at Home Depot so get it just in case (you won't be out much money either way).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.