I guess the title says it all. =) I'm planning to replace my kitchen sink faucet. What type of sealant should I use for the base of the new sink faucet?


Many facuets come with a rubber gasket, so you don't need any sealant, just install the gasket.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Yup, read the instructions that come with the kitchen faucet before you go for the plumber's putty... you might not need any extra sealant. – Jeff Widmer Nov 15 '10 at 1:33

the old standard is plumber's putty. this can be used on most surfaces and laminates. If your counter top is a natural stone, especially marble, plumber's putty could stain it. Check with the stone vendor to be sure to use the proper sealant that will not stain the counters.

| improve this answer | |
  • 3
    For the faucets I recently installed, they came with a plastic gasket, but also recommended that plumbers putty be used between the plastic and the sink. – MarkD Nov 14 '10 at 22:05
  • 1
    There are Plumbers Putty formulations that are non-staining (e.g. Sta-Put Ultra). They are also safe to use on plastics where a traditional oil-based Plumbers Putty would damage it. – myron-semack Feb 22 '11 at 13:51

Plumber's Putty. Read the manufacturer's instructions just in case. Plumbers Putty is less than 2 dollars at Home Depot so get it just in case (you won't be out much money either way).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.