picture of electrical box hole

This overcut box for honeywell thermostat is too wide for new ecobee. i don't want to use the trim plate, I'd rather fill and paint the overcut wings. Can I fix with just mesh tape and spackle? Or do I need to place small triangles of drywall?

Any advice is appreciated!

  • A picture would help. Commented Sep 1, 2023 at 20:07
  • mesh tape and spackle will do
    – Traveler
    Commented Sep 1, 2023 at 20:29
  • 2
    If anything, joint compound, not spackle. Spackle is for the hole left when you remove a nail from a photo frame. Can't help with what we can't see (or at least read about in detail), though.
    – isherwood
    Commented Sep 1, 2023 at 20:40
  • picture added. face palmed.
    – david
    Commented Sep 1, 2023 at 21:21

1 Answer 1


You can ball up some mesh tape and shove it in the wings.

Then give it a good smoosh of mud (Joint compound) and smooth it out.

If you have no mesh tape some balled up paper or paper towel will work for such a small area.

Just don't make the balls too big or they will bulge past the edge of the drywall and cause you fits trying to make it all flat.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.