Potentially very dumb series of questions as I haven’t personally taken on many home improvement projects. We recently moved in to a new place. It’s a rental but a long term one and it was a bit of a dump so we got a deal because it needed a bit of fixing up. One room (my bedroom) has these heinous textured plaster wall. It genuinely looks like the landlord just slapped a bunch of plaster on with his hands and the texture is driving me insane. I haven’t wanted to paint until I deal with these walls.!I’ve researched it a little bit but I need some clarifying. my plan was to remove the paint, sand down the texture, and then apply a skim coat. But now I’m wondering if a skim coat is absolutely necessary. Is it okay to just sand it smooth and then prime and paint? Will that affect the durability of the walls? Could i even get them smooth enough? Again, I’m sorry if this is a very dumb question.

  • 1
    First ask the landlord if s/he is OK with you doing this.
    – Huesmann
    Aug 27 at 12:20
  • There's a possibility that your paint has lead, and sanding it carelessly is a massive health hazard. epa.gov/lead/lead-safe-renovations-diyers Aug 27 at 13:55
  • If you attach a pic of the texture, it may lead to more answers/ options.
    – RMDman
    Aug 27 at 14:27

1 Answer 1


It can be done with right tools.

Get a sander with vacuum attachment (since there will be a lots of dust.

Regular sanding paper will quickly clog up.

Get a drywall sanding paper (mesh type)

more info here:


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.