I just noticed my deadbolt on my french doors isn't fully engaging. There is a strike box inside the opposing door. It is a good 1/4" too shallow. I went to remove the strike box to see what I could do, but the strike box has some way of attaching that isn't normal screws. These little black circles will slide side to side and it looks like the hole goes all the way through to the back of the faster. Looks circular in there, so a hex key doesn't grab that I can tell.

enter image description here

So, looking to see what options I would have for making it fit, and also how to get the thing off?

  • 1
    The "slide side to side" portion allows for adjustment that direction. Can you get a focused close up of the center of the two black screws? There's got to be a way to unscrew them, it might just be something you're not familiar with.
    – FreeMan
    Commented Aug 19, 2023 at 23:07
  • @FreeMan its a bit too dim outside right now to get one. I tried a flashlight on it but that made it worse I think. I'll try to grab one early tomorrow. Side note, the black things move freely side to side. they don't appear to be fastened to anything. the closest thing I can relate it to is the button on a pair of jeans. There is a wider piece through the oval that keeps it from falling out to the side I can see. But it isn't tight.
    – Dave
    Commented Aug 20, 2023 at 0:21
  • Those black things move now? That sounds rather odd...
    – FreeMan
    Commented Aug 20, 2023 at 12:15
  • @FreeMan Yes. They freely move side to side. Also, they are a somewhat soft plastic. Another commenter on a DIY forum said that is a box that a strike box/plate should go into. And those black things are for accepting the mounting screw on the box/plate.
    – Dave
    Commented Aug 20, 2023 at 20:23
  • That might be the case. Can you identify the brand? That might give us/you a clue.
    – FreeMan
    Commented Aug 21, 2023 at 12:00

1 Answer 1


Just noticed I never circled back with my answer.

Basically the little black things seem to be there to accept a strike plate at various positions. You can screw directly into them.

And what appeared to be a metal plate at the back side of the hole for the bolt was in the end just wood with a high gloss paint on it. I was able to drill that out and the bolt went all the way in.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.