I am replacing about ten floor joists that are almost completely rotted through, one’s even been cut in half for a four inch drain. The joist size is exactly 2x7.5" with about a 16 foot span.
My questions are:
- What type of wood should I replace it with?
- I'm looking at SYP 2400 their thickness is 1.5" with a correct height give or take a couple mm/8th of an inch.
- Should I replace them at all or sister them next to each other?
- The middle is more or less solid for a 100yr old house and having water damage, it’s where they rest on cinder blocks that the wood has rotted from bad siding and a leaky window both on opposite sides of the joists in question.
- If I sister them then would the rot degrade the pieces I put in?