It appears I have a support beam shifting, and the drywall is buckling underneath its weight. The beam has a crack appearing on one side where it butts up against the ceiling. There is a crack running horizontally where the beam butts up against the wall. The crack gets larger as it runs to the floor and pushes the drywall about an inch from the wall in the most severe location (which looks like it stops before the next drywall panel). The crack then turns thin again and runs to the floor.

  • What would cause this?
  • Should I have this looked at by a professional?

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 8
    Yes, I would suggest having it looked at by a professional. I've been building for a long time and it looks like the beam is dropping, it could be something serious. I would open up the drywall and get a better view and have someone come take a look.
    – matt.
    Commented Aug 14, 2023 at 1:00
  • 2
    I agree since the the drywall will need to be replace in the immediate area, it would be good to remove the sheetrock and let a pro take look at it. Always good to have 2 separate pros at 2 separate times, You should get the same info from them, if not, get a third pro in.
    – Jack
    Commented Aug 14, 2023 at 1:43
  • 6
    Since this appears to be a beam in a basement, I'd grab an adjustable Lally column and pop it in place (between the beam and the presumably concrete floor) as soon as you get the drywall off, as a stop-gap to whatever permanent solution is required, rather than just leaving that hanging while you consider options.
    – Ecnerwal
    Commented Aug 14, 2023 at 13:30
  • 6
    @Ecnerwal I'd personally do so first, before getting the drywall off. Just in case you upset something while removing the drywall. Commented Aug 14, 2023 at 20:51
  • 2
    I echo what @Criggie says about getting in a couple of acrows in a hurry, noting that you will need to both strip the cladding box off the outside of the beam and lift any flooring so you are on concrete etc. Also considering moving any heavy furniture etc. out of the room above. Commented Aug 15, 2023 at 9:18

1 Answer 1


Yes, this should be inspected by a competent professional as it could be something serious that needs to be addressed immediately.

Water damage could cause this or wood degradation caused by termites among other things.

Removing the surrounding drywall and getting a better view would be beneficial and give you and a contractor a better understanding of what the issue may be.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.