I have a study room that extends from our brick colonial that took in some water a couple years back during a nasty storm. I’m in SE Michigan. I had to tear out all the wood paneling and insulation, and furring strips. Three of the four walls had insulation and the other wall is just the back of our chimney.

I’ve monitored the area being exposed for over a year now and see no water coming in, I think it was just a one time thing because the storm was so bad.

I’m looking to put up drywall instead of wood paneling on the three walls and leave the chimney brick exposed. Do I need to put a vapor barrier on the three walls before adding new furring strips? Or can I just put insulation against the brick like before? I read that I may want to use an inch or so of closed cell spray foam insulation directly against the brick.

  • vapor barrier is recommended
    – Traveler
    Commented Aug 10, 2023 at 17:47
  • "an inch or so of closed cell spray foam" is both a vapor barrier and an air sealer. If that's affordable you do that, no questions asked.
    – Mazura
    Commented Aug 11, 2023 at 2:37
  • The trick may be getting only an inch or so of spray foam!
    – Huesmann
    Commented Aug 11, 2023 at 12:54


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.