Bought a house (in Canada) that came with a replacement wall oven. Getting ready to install and ran into a snag. There is only 3 wires (L1, N PE). Oven is an Electrolux EI24EW45LS 240v 60 Hz. Every search I'm not finding much with just those 3 hookups. #4 and #5 along with a ground are the lugs at the back of the oven before it goes to the wire. Thanks

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

Picture album link.

From the wall to the original oven in the house, has a 4 prong 3 wire red black white plus copper for ground.

  • 3
    how have you deterrmined that the white wire is neutral?
    – Jasen
    Aug 8, 2023 at 12:30
  • 2
    Calling it "PE" indicates to me that you're not in the US, but 60Hz indicates that you are - please indicate where in the world you are located, as that does matter. Does the oven need 120v to power anything like clocks, lights or other circuitry?
    – FreeMan
    Aug 8, 2023 at 12:41
  • 1
    In the US if an appliance does not need to have 120v, then quite often the white wire can be marked as a second hot. If the appliance does need to have 120v, then the white wire must be used for neutral. This usually requires the replacement of the cable or a second hot wire pull though conduit.
    – crip659
    Aug 8, 2023 at 12:52
  • 1
    Look at the oven light, or the manual. Trivial incandescent solution would be two oven lights, Wire them in series when shipping to 120/240V lands, and in parallel when shipping to 240V-only lands. Both will go out at once in 120V lands. Other trivial solution is a 240V bulb, since incandescent bulbs are nearly special order now anyway.
    – Ecnerwal
    Aug 9, 2023 at 2:22
  • 1
    @JimStewart They're 240 V incandescents. They're specialty bulbs anyway to handle the heat.
    – user71659
    Aug 9, 2023 at 3:04

1 Answer 1


So, it's the (German-made) appliance referring to L1, N, and PE in the Euro-market nomenclature.

In North America, a 240V appliance goes to L1 & L2 (North American nomenclature) to get 240V across it. That's both poles of a two-pole breaker that provides 240V.

PE goes to ground.

If the cable or conduit from the wall has a (North American nomenclature) Neutral wire, it's unused and capped off.

You have a 4-wire feed, so the neutral wire is going to be unused here. Black to black, red to red, green to bare copper, cap (isolate/insulate) white.

  • 1
    It works! Thanks @Ecnerwal, I knew I was over thinking it. Cheers
    – Sterling
    Aug 8, 2023 at 14:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.