I have a 3/4" copper line with with a saddle valve, and I want to do a solid once-only job with sweated fittings - so 3/4" line with a T off-take with a 1/4" ball valve with compression-fittings on one side.

Browsing hardware store in person or online I see a dizzying array of options. Would appreciate experienced & knowledgeable info on what exactly to buy. I've sweated pipes before, it's just the actual parts I need advice on.

No SharkBite, please.

  • Why no SharkBite? I did exactly like RMDman suggests years ago with a SharkBite valve and all's been dandy.
    – isherwood
    Commented Jul 18, 2023 at 18:16
  • hi isherwood - my daughter will inherit the house and is really not the kind of person that can and will go into a crawlspace. I need something that will last 60 years. I'm not well informed on plumbing as you can tell, so am unaware if sharkbite has that kind of lifespan
    – user192127
    Commented Aug 25, 2023 at 2:30

1 Answer 1


You will need:

  • a 3/4" tee and a short piece of 3/4 copper pipe.

  • a reducer down to 1/2", or a 3/4 -1/2- 3/4 tee ( then no 3/4 pipe needed)

  • a short piece of 1/2" copper pipe

  • a one quarter turn 1/2" compression shutoff with 1/4" compression outlet

enter image description here


Take a pic of what you have and take it to a hardware store, (not big box). Show an associate, tell them what you want to do, and they will get you what you want with a smile.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.