I am in the process of planning to upgrade my house's wiring. My house was built in the 1920s. It most likely uses tube and knob wiring. I am not sure as I have not looked in the walls yet. It does use it in the attic. The house currently uses a 100 amp service. The house is 2000 square feet. I am planning to add a 2nd building to the property that would be equal to a 1 bedroom house. I will have each room be on its own breaker. All the work will be done by an licensed electrician.
Here are the steps I am planning to take.
- Using a stud finder, I go around marking the paths the electrical wires take through the ceilings and walls.
- Map all the outlets and fixtures in the house to specific breakers.
- Upgrade the service to 300 amps from 100 amps. This will also replace the current main breaker. I will also add an external main shut off panel near the main meter.
- Have the first floor and basement rewired.
- Have a subpanel installed on 2nd floor and upgrade wiring on 2nd floor and attic.