I have noticed some leaking from both valves recently and I tried to change the valves (with two like the one pictured). After the change, I was still seeing water leaking from the area shown. I didn't overtighten, and they fit well. The hot/cold valves themselves are hard to turn more than a half turn after they are set (to turn the water on) even when not tightened too hard.

I didn't change the seat, and looking in there, there is a hex looking shape. I have that size to remove it, but it doesn't seem to spin out. It doesn't look like a normal seat that I've seen online, so I wonder if I'm missing something or this is just a old setup. Any help is appreciated.

enter image description here enter image description here

  • I don't know the specific valve, but in a lot of similar valves there would be a rubber washer just to the right of your thumb, to prevent leaking from the valve. Yours has a white ring in the valve housing, that possibly does that job, I'm not sure. Can you tell from looking and feeling, what component is supposed to seal the valve body? It won't be just metal on metal.
    – jay613
    Commented Jul 3, 2023 at 19:23
  • @jay613 Thanks. I checked each valve housing and both have a ring, which I just removed and checked. We cleaned and applied those before trying this last time.
    – idlehand
    Commented Jul 3, 2023 at 19:27
  • 1
    If you mean that the white ring seems like it is supposed to form the seal, and that it is removable, try taking it to a hardware store for a replacement. Maybe yours is worn out or damaged. That's a long shot, there is no reason it should wear out but it's easy to try.
    – jay613
    Commented Jul 3, 2023 at 19:35

1 Answer 1


It looks like a nylon seat. I've seen a few of them. Try again to remove it with your allen wrench turning it counterclockwise. The slightest nick or scratch in the seat will cause a leak.

  • Thanks -- I was able to remove that. Pictured here: imgur.com/a/QCKGt2b The one looks a little rougher. Is this something that is still carried at the big name places or will be a special order? Should I swap to a different set up?
    – idlehand
    Commented Jul 3, 2023 at 19:42
  • @idlehand It's the top you want to check for smoothnes, that's where the washer on the valve stem sits. You can check the big name places but I prefer a plumbing supply store because they will have them and might recommend brass replacements. When assembling the valves make sure you tighten them enough.
    – JACK
    Commented Jul 3, 2023 at 20:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.