Can you run a 2-2-2-4g AL-MHS 400' electrical wire to a treehouse that will have an 80 amp maximum?

1 Answer 1


Sure, if you don't mind the voltage drop. Unless you are in Canada and have to mind the voltage drop.

If you are sizing by the 125% rule, an 80A service should have a planned load calculation of 64A or less. A planned load of 80A would need a 100A service and larger wire unless this is the service drop from the meter for the treehouse as a standalone residence (not a subpanel feed from another building.)

64A will be a bit more than 6% voltage drop at 400 feet on 2 AWG Al.

80A would be closer to 8% voltage drop. Slight variance depending on power factor of the load.

If the actual load is lower than either of those, the voltage drop will also be lower.

  • Thank you, this helps. I live in NY and this is a sub-panel coming from main house, 200 amp service.
    – Triple C
    Jun 27, 2023 at 12:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.