I'm upgrading 100A service to 200A. The existing 6ga grounding conductors need to be replaced with 4ga. The existing 6ga armored cable was clamped to the grounding rods with these clamps (with the bottom flipped over...) enter image description here

However, the spec sheet for these state they are only applicable for up to 6ga wire size. I'm not able to find a clamp for 4ga armored cable to a grounding rod.

I could use these: enter image description here

but then the armored cable would be pointing straight vertical. I want the cable laid horizontal.

Should I just go to a local supply store and ask them? Or is there a specific thing I should look for? Should I just use the existing clamp even though it says it's rated for 6ga and hope the inspector lets it slide?

  • 3
    An electrical supply would help you out. A box store would tell you #8 ground is fine, or other misadvice. Jun 26, 2023 at 6:08
  • Are you really using “armored cable” as a ground wire? Seems unlikely.
    – nobody
    Jun 26, 2023 at 12:00
  • In the time you took to write the comment, you could have googled "4/1 armored ground cable".
    – 000
    Jun 26, 2023 at 14:25
  • I'll leave this question "open" as my solution does not answer the question as written. It was an X-Y problem. I ran a #4 to the water pipe at the entrance, and then ran #6 to the grounding rods using the existing connections.
    – 000
    Jun 26, 2023 at 16:53
  • 1
    I think nobody was noting that "armored cable" and "bare armored ground cable" are quite different things. The similarity in names causes plenty of confusion. BTDT
    – Armand
    Jun 26, 2023 at 18:28

1 Answer 1


Use a clamp designed for armored cable

I can't tell for sure, but I cannot see how the armor on your bare armored ground cable would terminate on the old clamp anyway, and you need to terminate that armor correctly at both ends lest you "choke" your grounding electrode conductor.

So, I'd use a clamp like the Westgate MVP99-360-2C that is designed for clamping bare armored ground cables (the part in question is rated for #8-#4 wire, by the way), and thus provides a built-in terminating facility for the armor. (I have no affiliation with them, and if you can find something else that works, more power to you.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.