I currently have a professionally installed (and inspected) portable generator inlet installed on the side of my house. It is wired to a 30A breaker in the main panel and has an interlock. I don't need this generator inlet anymore as I've since had a whole house generator installed that has its own sub panel/transfer switch. Can I simply remove the interlock and remove/rewire the inlet to an EVSE? I realize that removing an interlock isn't something that should ever be done however this is a permanent change and none of this will ever be used for a generator again. I know I'd be restricted to 24A given the 30A breaker but I'm ok with that, I don't need super fast charging. Just trying to see if I'm missing anything.

  • You would probably need to remove the interlock to hardwire the EVSE to the panel(to get around needing a GFCI).
    – crip659
    Commented Jun 17, 2023 at 13:39
  • If you want to be picky about it, remove the inlet first, and then removing the interlock has not even a whiff of hinkiness about it. Also check the wire size/material - some folks choose a larger than minimum wire in case they might upsize the generator later on. You could get lucky with that, or not.
    – Ecnerwal
    Commented Jun 17, 2023 at 15:44
  • 1
    @crip659 The interlock is totally unrelated to hardwire vs. receptacle. The interlock has to be removed so that the repurposed circuit can be powered while the main is on.
    – nobody
    Commented Jun 17, 2023 at 22:25
  • @nobody I did mess up. Was thinking inlet, but somehow wrote interlock.
    – crip659
    Commented Jun 17, 2023 at 22:35

1 Answer 1


Yes. Replace the inlet with a hard-wired outdoor-rated EVSE and remove the interlock at the panel.

You need to do load calcs to make sure your service and panel both have capacity for a new 24A load. If not, you can buy a smaller charger, replace the breaker with an appropriately smaller one, but use the existing cable from the inlet.

You'll have a spare white wire at the inlet, just cap it there. You can leave it alone in the panel.

Your "never remove an interlock" rule is reasonable so long as there is a generator inlet but not after it's removed.

  • The vast majority of EVSEs allow a DIP switch setting or procedure to select the charge ampacity. This procedure must be difficult to do casually during ordinary use, per UL/CSA. Many cars and some EVSEs also allow a soft setting easily done from the driver's seat or an app, but that does not meet the requirement. Commented Jun 17, 2023 at 18:53
  • @Jason if you already bought the charger, and if you must and can limit it as noted in the above comment, that would be preferable to buying a smaller one and you don't need to change the breaker.
    – jay613
    Commented Jun 17, 2023 at 19:00
  • That's right. The EVSE ("charger") setup instructions will say to set the breaker size, but you can just set the breaker you should have based on the Load Calc... and that's fine. The breaker size only needs to be small enough for the wire, in case the EVSE itself has a problem. Commented Jun 17, 2023 at 19:05
  • Thanks everyone! The EVSE is adjustable, I'd be setting it based on my current breaker size.
    – Jason P
    Commented Jun 17, 2023 at 19:27
  • @JasonP the point is, do a Load Calculation to determine what load the panel can handle. The generator breaker is no help here, since a generator is an anti-load. Feel free to consider an EVEMS such as the WallBox, which puts clamp meters on your supply wires to dynamically adjust charge rate to assure your panel is never overloaded. Commented Jun 17, 2023 at 20:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.