I have a Cat-6 cable running to an external PoE security camera that I'd like to have surge protected, but I'm unsure how to ground the protector. It has a prong coming off that I assume is the ground wire, but I don't know where to connect this. Is there an adapter to connect it to a close-by outlet and use that as ground? I feel that the location of the surge protector (indoors, about 8 feet high) is too far to try to attach it to an outdoor "to earth" pole.

enter image description here

Here is a link to the surge protector I'll be using.


It's like the old three wire to two wire plug adapters that had the grounding wire. That attaches to the screw on the outlet cover. You may want to get new screw that is bare metal and not coated to make better contact.


If it is UTP CAT6 then you don't need a ground. If it isn't then you ground it like you would any other electrical component. Might just run a piece of 14 gauge wire over to an electrical box and tie it in there.

  • Thanks for the reply! One cable is Cat6 UTP, one is Cat5e UTP- the 5e is direct burial stuff (and is buried), so it's the one I'm most worried about. The Cat6 runs in conduit over the roof of the building, then inside- should I not worry about it being grounded and just focus on the 5e? – Ben May 1 '13 at 17:47
  • There is no ground needed for UTP cabling. – DMoore May 2 '13 at 15:53
  • 1
    That would be incorrect. The ground on a surge prot device is not for the shield on STP cable,it is to drain the surge to earth ground. If you dont tie a ground to the surge prot device, it will do no good to protect from surge. That is why the ground wire is there. What that guy is thinking about is grounding the shield to earth ground to reduce noise which can be bothersome for data but not as dangerous to sensitive electronics as a power surge is. – dfil Sep 11 '18 at 21:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.