I am renovating my first home and noticed in several rooms there are areas of what appear to be pooled paint. To me, it looks like someone applied too much paint and did not smooth it out before it dried. Here are some pictures:

pooled paint near ceiling

pooled paint under window

I mainly noticed these closer to the ceiling.

Is this really just paint, or is it something else? What should I do before I repaint the walls to ensure this isn't visible and the wall is smooth? Is it enough to just sand down the "pooled" areas?

  • 3
    There's a word for those. That is called a "run". If you talk to any paint person and say your paint has runs, they'll grok. It's from painting the paint too thick, probably from letting it get too thick in the roller tray or not following the instructions on your paint sprayer. Commented Jun 15, 2023 at 1:56
  • Thanks! Is there anything specific I should do to remove the runs before repainting? Do I just need to sand it down?
    – Luke
    Commented Jun 15, 2023 at 2:03
  • ligthly sanding it would be great - if it is very thick i would lightly scrape it. The important thing is to et a more even transition which is small enough for the new paint to cover it
    – JoSSte
    Commented Jun 15, 2023 at 10:26

1 Answer 1


I would suggest you gently sand it down and feather it out. Then you need to paint it. Do not oversand it as it will then show through the new paint.

  • 1
    Depending how thick the paint is, a light skim coat may help too.
    – Huesmann
    Commented Jun 15, 2023 at 15:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.