What I need: A secure way to connect a garden hose to a water pump using lead free adapters and/or connections. The pump output is 1/2" MNPT and is positioned approximately 3"-4" from the box frame. Pump can be moved horizontally but only max 1" in either direction. Technically speaking I could attach a 1/2" x 3/4" FIP x MHT Brass Flanged Threaded Sillcock Valve directly to the pump output and call it done. However that's not going to cut it for me. Using any sillcock valve or quarter-turn female hose bib is undesirable because of the flow restrictions imposed by the internal workings. A flange or mountable adapter is necessary to keep everything secure and wobble free. The daily movement of the heavy garden hose must be considered, hence the flange to mount such an adapter. This setup must be able to withstand at least 15 PSI.

What I tried: The pump manufacturer supplies a 1/2" Straight Barbed Fitting. I would attach a vinyl tube to the barb with a stainless hose clamp. The vinyl tube would feed through and hang approximately 3" outside of the box output. I attached a male hose mender to it with a stainless hose clamp. This did work, but over time the barbed fitting would deform from the pressure of the clamp and the male hose mender would not be stationary and it had to withstand the daily movements of the garden hose. This would transfer some stress to the pump's output threads. I don't have pictures of this setup. I did read this post but it doesn't help in my situation.

What I'm thinking: Using a straight ~2" to ~3" pipe (copper or PVC), one end of the straight pipe gets coupled to the pump output and the *other end gets connected to a termination fitting. (*Still trying to figure out this connection) The termination fitting is mounted on the outside of the box. I could then use a MNPT to MHT fitting to create the male garden hose output I need. The termination plate is held in place by four screws and keeps the piping straight and stresses off the plastic pump output. I can enlarge the hole for the box output to allow for any fittings necessary.

Other ideas: There is a rare adapter known as a Special Drop Adapter that is very close to what I am after. Pros - flanged for secure mounting. Cons - not lead free, requires sweating (trying to keep everything a threaded connection), wrong size, needs male thread output.

Am I overthinking this setup and completely missing a simple or common solution? Or are my needs really so unique that it requires some not-so-common adapters and jerry-rigging? I am open to any and all suggestions, improvements, tips, etcetera.

Some photos to help describe my situation. Exterior Box Output

Interior Box With Pump Output

Interior and Exterior Output

  • 3
    Not all ball valves restrict when fully open. The ones which don't cost more, admittedly, and are bulkier. But I've got examples on hand of ones where the hole through the ball is of the same diameter as the pipe; all that takes is using a larger ball and a housing big enough to contain it.
    – keshlam
    May 25 at 22:45
  • 5
    What is that cabinet/box made out of? From the picture it looks like pressed wood that does not like to get wet.
    – crip659
    May 25 at 23:05
  • I'd say your idea should work.
    – gnicko
    May 26 at 1:41
  • @crip659 I had a feeling someone would ask about that. I had some scrap MDF laying around. It’s heavily stained with deck sealant. The MDF was free and it’s uniform in shape. Easy to work with. It’s not the best but it was free. Over a year sitting outside in the rust belt and no issues.
    – giuseppe
    May 26 at 2:04
  • 2
    1. The linked sillcock valve is obviously not a ball valve. It’s multi-turn so it’s washer based. An actual quarter-turn ball valve could provide much less restricted flow. 2. Why are lead-free fittings so important upstream of a garden hose? Garden hoses are generally very explicitly not fit for drinking water.
    – nobody
    May 26 at 2:47

2 Answers 2


Get a threaded female to female 1/2 to 3/4 reducing fitting

enter image description here

Then a 3/4" x ??" nipple to go between that and the wall termination fitting. enter image description here

Then install a male 3/4" FNTP to hose adapter after the termination fitting.

male 3/4" FNTP to HT Adapter


My working solution. There are multiple ways to go about this but here is what I did to convert the pump's 1/2" MPT outlet to 3/4" male hose thread via a wall termination fitting. The wall termination fitting was necessary to keep everything stationary and take stress off of the pump's threads. I connected all four pieces with plumbers tape. Then tightly screwed this entire piece onto the pump. Then four stainless screws to hold the termination fitting to the wooden box. I was able to test and hold at 45 psi without any issues. A lightweight garden hose (pictured) was easy to screw on/off since the termination fitting is securely mounted to the box.

Hardware used:

1/2" FPT x 1/2" MPT Brass Adapter

3/4" x 1/2" PVC Reducer Bushing

3/4" FIP Wal-Let Wall Termination Fitting

3/4" MPT x 3/4" Male Hose Thread Brass Adapter

Full View

Outlet 1

Outlet 2

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.