There's a hole in our ceiling near the vent fan. I plan to cut a piece of wallboard to fit, then patch the sides with that plaster type goop. How should I attach the wallboard?

I was thinking I could nail it to the wood up there then cover the nails with the goop. Or maybe I could glue it to the wood.

enter image description here

  • are you going to patch your air/vapor barrier? normally you just put a piece of wood up on each of the joints and use drywall screws to secure the wood to the existing and then the new patch to the wood. Commented May 13, 2023 at 16:53
  • Is that that bit of plastic in there upper right?
    – Almo
    Commented May 13, 2023 at 20:47
  • 1
    yes the plastic is 6mil poly and generally used as a vb/ab. if you don't have it then moisture laden air goes through the insulation layer hits a cold surface and condenses allowing mold to grow. Commented May 13, 2023 at 22:17
  • Ok, thanks for that info. I don't think it was all the way there to begin with, as there were some... ahem... irregularities when we moved in. I'll take a look at this, thanks. :)
    – Almo
    Commented May 14, 2023 at 1:45

1 Answer 1


Cut a piece of drywall (wallboard) to size.

Use drywall screws (4 of them) about 1.5 inch long and screw the drywall into the wood beams.

Plaster to hide the gap.

  • Plaster, or joint compound?
    – Huesmann
    Commented May 14, 2023 at 12:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.