I have a deadbolt lock for a smart lock I just bought. The first problem is I have a metal door and need a drive-in bolt attachment for the lock.

The second problem is the the hole I made in the door is too big for the 1" lock. Its 1-1/8 inches so the lock is too small, so even if I got a drive in bolt attachment, its slightly too small and will fall right in.

How can I install this thing on a metal door? I was thinking either a. there is a larger drive in bolt attachment option that is 1-1/8, or b. I cut a rectangle out and put the deadbolt in as-is and find a way to drill it in from inside the metal door. Thoughts?

enter image description here

  • 1
    Protip: 1/8 is already read "one eighth". Don't add th to it. That would be "one eighth-th". :P
    – isherwood
    May 10 at 21:17
  • What hardware is that? Schlage sends drive-in conversion parts in the box. It's a 15-second swap. Stick a screwdriver in the slot at the corner and twist the two plates apart to remove them.
    – isherwood
    May 10 at 21:19
  • More photos would help. From what I can see behind your thumb you don't need a drive-in bolt. It looks mortised.
    – isherwood
    May 10 at 21:20
  • 1
    Don't even really need tubing. Roll up a flat piece of whatever material.
    – Huesmann
    May 11 at 13:16
  • 1
    Commercial-grade doors tend to be fully steel, but most residential doors are merely steel clad. We can clearly see the wooden core in the photo.
    – isherwood
    May 11 at 13:24

2 Answers 2


A pro, given an erroneously drilled door, would probably either

  1. use a die to form a recess that the rectangular faceplate or a properly-drilled repair piece will fit into, or

  2. cut the rectangle, use screws to affix tabs behind the door edge, and then mount the rectangular faceplate to those tabs.

But a pro would have triple-checked the required dimensions before drilling. Knowing how to recover from a mistake is good, not making the mistake in the first place is better.


The door is merely metal skinned, so you just need to reduce the hole a bit. Get some 1/16" thick flexible stuff, form it into a cylinder, and glue it in there using epoxy.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.