Two of my windows and my sliding door have this extra vent thing installed on them. The vent can open and close to (I'm assuming) let a bit of air into the room without opening the whole window.

I never use these, but one of them does not seal properly and the other is fully broken. I can't figure out what to google to find spare parts. Does anyone know what these are called?

The windows are made by Milgard and I believe they were put in in the early 2000s. I don't see these things on their modern windows so I'm wondering if these were a limited time feature before someone realized that it was a dumb idea.

Window vent thing

  • 1
    Are you sure it's not a cover for an accessory mounting slot?
    – isherwood
    Apr 28, 2023 at 19:28
  • 1
    Looks like a pop-up/fold-down handle from this picture, to me.
    – Ecnerwal
    Apr 28, 2023 at 19:53
  • 2
    I'll email milgard directly to see if they can help. Probably should've done that first Apr 28, 2023 at 20:16
  • 1
    Found this as a possible name after looking for window vents. window trickle vents. Will probably need to buy from milgard anyway.
    – crip659
    Apr 28, 2023 at 21:23
  • 1
    My building, constructed in 2000, is LEED certified and the units each have multiple exhaust fans. The units have similar vents on the windows, presumably to allow air to flow in to replace the outflow from the exhaust fans.
    – Armand
    Apr 29, 2023 at 3:05

1 Answer 1


It's a "trickle vent". If you leave it open, it allows a bit of ventilation even when the main window is closed.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.