I am re-siding and probably re-sheathing a portion of my house. The house includes a carport framed in and converted to living space where the existing slab is only ~1" above grade. From what I've read a possible fix might be adding temporary supports and building a block wall to bring the "foundation wall" up 8 inches.

The house does not have proper clearance to grade on one portion (and it cannot be fixed by grading). It has been that way for ~40 years. Am I likely to be required to fix this when making modifications?

The rest of the house mostly have the 6" of clearance required by code.

  • We're also adding windows so there will be inspections.
    – Bob
    Apr 29 at 3:11
  • Add that information to your question post, please.
    – isherwood
    Apr 29 at 13:59
  • Whether or not inspectors require a fix, you should endeavor to provide one!
    – Huesmann
    May 2 at 13:33
  • @Huesmann do you have a suggestion for a fairly simple fix? I'm not sure supporting ~15 feet of ceiling/roof, removing the wall, and pouring a small stem wall or laying a block one is worthwhile? The house is 70 years old, in a dry climate, and doesn't have evidence of massive issues.
    – Bob
    May 2 at 17:03
  • 1
    If the inspectors require some kind of remedial effort, grade away from the house at least 10', even if it causes a sump there; if necessary you can create an infiltration pit (assuming your soils are reasonably well-draining). If the inspector doesn't comment, and you don't have any evidence of an issue, don't even worry about it.
    – Huesmann
    May 3 at 12:34


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.