I have a water spigot that is connected to a private well. The PVC pipe about 1 foot into the ground cracked. Can I cement it in to use my other hose?

Basically I had the hose connected to the water spigot, yanked on it and it cracked the entire PVC pipe. Unfortunately, it cracked it at the connection so I can’t remove the cracked pipe and put another one on--I’d have to dig up the pipe. I have 3 other spigots connected to this private well, but can’t use them because if I turn the water on the broken pop shoots water up like a volcano.

Thinking about just getting rid of this pipe, and having 3 instead of 4, but how does one do that? Can I just cement it in?

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • Explain cementing does it mean glueing ?
    – Traveler
    Apr 1, 2023 at 23:34
  • What are we looking at here? What's the hexagonal part?
    – isherwood
    Apr 2, 2023 at 0:46

1 Answer 1


If by "cementing" you mean encasing it in concrete, I would say No. The best bet is to dig it up, making a large enough space around the buried pipe that you can get it dry and work on it. Then cut it off and splice a new section of matching pipe to it using PVC primer and PVC cement. I agree with a comment above - you need to secure a plastic pipe to a solid post - plastic is not strong enough to take any abuse, and it will get brittle over time. If you want to abandon it, follow the same steps - just glue a PVC cap over the cut end instead of a coupling.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.