I bought my house about 9 months ago. I'm just now noticing what looks like a horizontal crack patched up. This is next to my window.

Am I looking at that correctly... Was there a crack and the original owner tried to cover it? Does this mean that I have foundation issues? Or is the drywall just acting up?

enter image description here

2 Answers 2


I doubt very much that it's a foundation problem or anything serious. Little cracks like that, especially around windows are pretty common. Holes in block are made for the windows and then framed with wood and the windows are then shimmed in place. Then drywalled so lots of settling. Plus people are alays hanging drapes and blinds so the drywall gets beat up pretty bad and then repairs are made.


Minor cracks, especially horizontal or vertical ones, are generally just random effects of age, and harmless. Patch 'em, preferably with mesh tape for strength, and don't worry.

Long (and growing) cracks, especially diagonal cracks in old lath-and-plaster, may indicate foundation settling occurred in the past and the plaster wasn't properly patched after that was stopped... or settling is occurring now. The latter would be a concern, so at would be worth keeping an eye on.

  • Which kind of crack would you classify this one as?
    – dman
    Mar 25, 2023 at 16:49
  • 1
    Keep an eye on it for 5 years & you'll know ;)
    – Tetsujin
    Mar 25, 2023 at 16:55
  • 1
    "Don't worry about it yet." Go ahead and patch it. If it opens again and goes farther, then you can start being suspicious.
    – keshlam
    Mar 25, 2023 at 17:02
  • That crack would be classified as Superficial.
    – RMDman
    Mar 25, 2023 at 21:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.