I've assembled a set of swings, and am trying to tighten the nuts at the top. The trouble is that they are embedded deep inside a circular hole and I can't get to them with a regular spanner.

What kind of tool should I be using? I had a good look in my local hardware store and couldn't see anything useful.

Here's a (dreadful) diagram of what I mean.

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


You should get yourself a socket wrench (also known as a ratchet):

Socket set

  • 3
    Note, no affiliation, but I do like Craftsman tools in this situation. I took a 20 year old wrench like this back because the quick release go stuck in the release position and they replaced it, no questions asked.
    – BMitch
    Apr 15, 2013 at 14:36
  • 6
    For deep locations, there are deep sockets as well, about 4-5 the length of the ones shown. Craftsman at 1/4 the price of Snap-On, with a lifetime warranty on applicable tools... They will last a lifetime, unlike a lot of the cheap bubblegum wrapper tinfoil and zinc stuff. Apr 15, 2013 at 15:23
  • I didn't see one of these in the hardware store, but I did see a "Torque Wrench". Is that the same?
    – Urbycoz
    Apr 15, 2013 at 16:07
  • 2
    @Urbycoz: every respectable hardware store will sell socket wrench kits. Ask a staff guy for ratchets and sockets and he'll be able to direct you. Apr 15, 2013 at 17:23
  • 1
    @Urbycoz - If you do not have a "respectable hardware store" in your area then try at an automotive parts store. They sell plenty of socket wrenches.
    – Michael Karas
    Apr 15, 2013 at 18:39

You want a nut driver. You can either get a fixed set of them,

Nut driver set

or if you have a socket set, you can just get a nut driver with a square head that you clip the sockets onto:

Nut driver for sockets

Or you could get a set of these, a power drill, and the socket, and use that to get it really tight. If you're going to tighten stuff instead of drill holes with a power drill, I recommend you read our blog post on the proper use of the clutch on a power drill.

Power bar set for drills

  • If you're spinning the nuts with a drill can you safely use the chromed sockets sold with hand tools; or do you need to use the black type rated for use with impact wrenches. Apr 15, 2013 at 17:20
  • @DanNeely Unless it's a hammer drill, the chromed sockets should be fine. Apr 15, 2013 at 17:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.