I am adding two circuits to an existing circuit panel in my home. One will be for a welder and will be on a 50a 2 pole breaker and terminate in a NEMA 6-50 outlet. It will be 3 6AWG THHN wires in 1" SCH40 PVC conduit.

The other circuit is for a 5hp Air Compressor and will be a 30a 2 pole breaker, 3 10AWG THHN that goes to a safety switch mounted on the wall and then finally to the air compressor pressure switch. This will be in 3/4" SCH40 PVC conduit.

I will have Liquid Tite going from the Safety Switch to the Air Compressor, but I am wondering if I can use it going from a junction box to the breaker panel too and be code compliant. The conduit I am running will be surface mounted on drywall as the room the panel is in has drywall on the panel wall side. I will cut a small access hole under the panel and this is where I am hoping to use liquid tite to go up and into the breaker panel to avoid having to plumb a short bent section up into the panel from a surface mounted pull box or the like.

Would this be code compliant? Any other holes in my plan? I know the conduit is oversized, but I am doing this on purpose for sake of easy pulls.

1 Answer 1


You can use the Liquidtite to go into a main panel. I've got to ask why you're using it and not flexible metal conduit. FMC is more readily available and provides much better protection. The last time I checked, I think it was cheaper.

  • 1
    FMC also pulls much easier. LFNC is the most miserable thing to pull wires through I've ever personally experienced.
    – Ecnerwal
    Mar 17, 2023 at 2:29
  • This is a very good point and one I hadn't thought of. Thanks much for the info!
    – Beau Gott
    Mar 17, 2023 at 12:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.