I had engineered wood installed in entryway 3 years ago. I would like to change carpet in adjoining living-dining room to engineered wood that is same height and width just slightly different color. I would like to avoid the bulky transition strip since it is a large opening to the room.

  • Floating engineered wood?
    – Huesmann
    Mar 10, 2023 at 15:14
  • Is it the same brand?
    – isherwood
    Mar 10, 2023 at 15:17

1 Answer 1


If you're using the same brand in both rooms, look for repair strips from the manufacturer. These would be basically zero-width fillers with tongues on both sides.

Otherwise, some carpentry is in order. Ideally you'd mill grooves into each board and use a biscuit of sorts to joint them, creating a mechanical connection which resists vertical shift. Use a good wood glue and be happy.

enter image description here


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.