so i have a lamp but the plug isn’t one i’ve typically seen before so i don't know what adapter i would need. I have done some research and found that type A plug is the closest thing however on a type A plug it seems that one pin is wider than the other and there is also holes. Would be so grateful if anyone could help! enter image description here

  • 3
    Your location? where did you buy the lamp? Did they assume a market? Plugs vary around the world. Solution: cut the plug off and fit the standard plug for your location.
    – Solar Mike
    Mar 4, 2023 at 11:05
  • 1
    It looks similar to the old type A, but it seems to have a low max rating, 6amp at 250v.
    – crip659
    Mar 4, 2023 at 11:46
  • 1
    Probably needs to be sent back to the direct import supplier as a non-listed device, at first guess.
    – Ecnerwal
    Mar 4, 2023 at 14:05

1 Answer 1


This is also a Type A (NEMA 1-15P)

This, too, is a Type A plug, or in the US a NEMA 1-15P. As you see here, for certain appliances (normally those considered double insulated under UL standards, but lamps aren't normally double insulated, so I don't know what's going on in your situation), Type A plugs are permitted to lack polarization, and the holes in the prongs are an optional feature as well.

  • 1
    It depends on the age of the appliance/lamp also. Polarized plugs are a bit recent safety upgrade.
    – crip659
    Mar 4, 2023 at 14:42
  • 1
    @crip659 -- yeah, some very old stuff has unpolarized plugs as well but those usually have two narrow blades, and the plug'd be old too :P Mar 4, 2023 at 16:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.