Our wiring is not functioning now after using a CFL bulb in a dimmable light fixture. Is it possible that use of the CFL bulb could affect our old wiring? We may have to replace the wire leading to this fixture. Also other light fixtures on same wire are not working now.
It seems unlikely that the CFL itself would be able to cause damage to the wiring on its own. All the bulb knows how to do is draw current from what it's given. It seems like something else is afoot here. If your wiring is old (how old is old?) you must have managed to damage it some other way, either while installing the new bulbs or installing the dimmer switch, etc.