Do these window trim strips (shown pulling up from the metal frame) perform any useful function, or are they purely decorative?

enter image description here

If functional, how to replace them?

  • 1
    It is some sort of either seal or weatherstripping - definitely not decorative. The question is whether it is a must for the windows (i.e., without it, the glass might be loose) or if it is purely to help stop heat loss. Hopefully someone who knows windows better (I know Windows fairly well, but not windows) will have a definitive answer. Feb 24 at 21:23
  • 1
    If you are talking about the black rubber pieces, they are weatherstripping/sealing pieces. Quite functional, but might just need to be glue back down or replaced.
    – crip659
    Feb 24 at 21:24
  • Are those black rubber pieces between two panes of glass, or are they just on the inside of the window?
    – SteveSh
    Feb 24 at 21:31
  • @SteveSh they are on the outside of the window (the blinds in the picture are on the inside) and are made of some kind of fairly stiff plastic, not rubber. Feb 24 at 21:32
  • 1
    Then like crip659 said, they're weather stripping material used to 1) maybe hold the window pane in place (like old fashioned window glazing) and 2) seal the window to keep rain/moisture out.
    – SteveSh
    Feb 24 at 21:41

1 Answer 1


These strips are not for decoration. When the windows are new, they fit into the groove very tight and help to secure the glass after the window caulking/sealer has been applied between the aluminum frame and glass. They also keep water and dirt from filling up the groove and provide some weather stripping although the caulking/sealant usually does that. I have seen glass fall out of the frame when stripping like this has been rempved and not replaced. If it's still pliable, clean it off with soap and water and wedge it back into the frame like the right side of your picture shows. If it's dried out, cut a pieces so you can match the profile at your home / window store or the internet and re-install.

  • 1
    As jack advised above, clean and reinstall, but if you need to get them new try the local hardware store. I find the local stores, ( not big box) often stock things that are indigenous to the homes nearby, that can't be found in other stores.
    – RMDman
    Feb 24 at 22:37
  • Do you happen to know what they are called? It would really help with finding replacements. Feb 24 at 23:07
  • Try “glazing spline” or “glazing gasket”, and look first at CRL. (Not sure crl sells to the public, but I’m sure you can find a sympathetic glass place.) Feb 25 at 5:08
  • also be careful not to stretch it while installing else it will shrink over time.
    – Jasen
    Feb 25 at 10:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.