I have some sections of my ceiling that contain these faux tiles, made of some kind of cheap wood (feels half way between cork and particle board). Each sheet is about 4ft by 4ft and has 4 tiles on them (2x2).

Any clue what these are called?

As they look on the ceiling

Removed, frontRemoved, rear

  • 1
    I don't think these are acoustic tiles. Feb 22, 2023 at 16:08
  • It looks like MDF that someone has carved a pattern into using a router.
    – Jasen
    Feb 23, 2023 at 7:59

1 Answer 1


That's "hardboard" or "fiberboard" (MDF/HDF), sometimes also called Masonite for external (siding) applications. It's pressed wood fiber. It offers great uniformity and strength in dry conditions.

A search for "decorative fiberboard panels" yields useful results.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.