I'm hoping someone can identify this hand tool. Here is what I do know:

  • It was made by Stanley
  • It may be something used with sheet metal or maybe Wire?
  • It would only be used on the edge of the metal.
  • It doesn't seem to be used to nibble as it doesn't cut.
  • The knob on the front has numbers from 4 to 16 (gauge?) and acts like a cam. as you turn it, it moves a metal piece (a base) that has two sloped edges with a peak in the middle. This piece adjusts up and down to offset the peak.
  • There is another round wheel that you can turn to adjust the height of another component that has a rounded top edge.
  • Squeezing the handle pushes a metal part that presses against the sloped adjustable base. It seems like it crimps or pinches? or possibly is used to bend. the part that is pushed is about 1/8" x 3/8" and the tip is sloped at the same angle as the metal plate it hits against.

Full pic close up head close up angle close up head 2


2 Answers 2


It appears that you have a Stanley™ Saw Blade Set tool. It's possibly the model 42SS as per an eBay posting currently active.

Saw blade set tool 42SS

This image from above linked auction/purchase posting. There are other images in the linked site from various angles.

Saw blade setting tools are used to bend alternating teeth on a hand saw or circular saw blade to ensure suitable kerf/clearance while cutting


It's a saw set, used for setting the teeth of a saw blade when resharpening. See saw set.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.