House was built in 1982 and this is a connector going to my 2x2 florescent light fixtures in the drop ceiling. How do they come apart or off? The small tab on the left was connected but broke from becoming fragile. Also what are these connections called?blue connector

  • 2
    It's not a connector. It's a strain relief gasket clamped around MN-B (Romex) cable going into the fixture.
    – DoxyLover
    Feb 12, 2023 at 0:14
  • You need to open up the enclosure and deal with the romex connections within. Feb 12, 2023 at 0:21
  • BTW, get a replacement strain relief appropriate for regional codes; compression type are likely to break on removal. Feb 12, 2023 at 2:54

1 Answer 1


You need to squeeze the two tabs that are holding it in the hole, either from the other side of the sheet metal or by pressing a small screwdriver against the tabs from the side you see, alternating sides until it comes loose.

See page 2 of this PDF for removal instructions.

The manufacturer calls it a non-metallic cable connector.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.