I'm installing a shower pan (this one, to be exact) into my condo unit, but I don't think the drain pipe is a standard size. It's a metal pipe, here are some photos of it:

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

I measured the pipe to be 1-11/16" (inside diameter) and it looks like most metal pipes come in 1/4" increments, so I'm not sure what my best course of action is here. I'm guessing I'll need to get the closest size down (1-3/4") and weld it onto the drain pipe, and then buy a shower drain that can connect to the metal pipe (or use a rubber gasket which is squeezed around the pipe) for the drain on the shower pan.

Also somewhat related—the top of the metal pipe was connected to the overflow drain on the tub that used to be there (I assume). Is there an easy way to cap that off as well?

  • 1
    Looks like you have some serious wall repair to do as well with the metal studding rusted out like that.
    – Michael Karas
    Feb 8, 2023 at 19:37
  • As far as i know, plumbing pipes are measured as outside diameter. I would double check that a standard one won't fit. Feb 8, 2023 at 19:38
  • @MichaelKaras Oh yeah they look awful, I will be removing those metal studs/tracks and buying new ones.
    – Attila
    Feb 8, 2023 at 20:15
  • @RohitGupta Good catch, you're right, it seems the diameter from the outside is 1-3/4", I'll update my main post.
    – Attila
    Feb 8, 2023 at 20:16

1 Answer 1


I believe what you have there is a bronze or brass slip fitting housing, lacking its matching nuts and compression washers to make it take standard slip fit trap parts, such as the drain and overflow of the tub that was here. Modern versions of this part can still be had for a lot of money, but Polypropylene has largely replaced them. If you were putting a tub here you could buy replacement nuts and compression washers.

It's a standard size, but not a standard drain pipe size, because it's not one. It will join to a standard drain pipe at some point, possibly right at the bottom of the Tee. Of course, that might be sweated (soldered) copper drain pipe in keeping with the bronze fitting that's showing.

To install a shower drain here, you'll be removing this fitting.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.